Swan Shaver spinning opposite direction...Please Help!

Click here for topics regarding both block and cube shave ice machines!
dluna11w

Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:23 pm

Early last year I purchased a brand new swan and a used swan. i was new to the block ice world and didn't train my employees well enough for when to adjust the brake and when to change the blade. Many, many times last season, the shaver would stop shaving correctly and they would adjust the brake when really all it needed was a new blade. I feel like a full season of adjusting the brake over and over lead to extra pressure on the motors. This season I changed the blades out more than they needed to be, but I think the damage had already been done last year. Come to find out, the employees would pop the reset button and just hold it in while shaving to get it to work. Now, one shaver will spin clockwise and then counter-clockwise when you let off the pedal and press it again. The other machine will just make a humming noise and attempt to start spinning the ice and never get it to spin. I've tried everything I can think of to make it work. Again, it seems as though it is just wore out. Turns out, the employees would just hold down the pedal even while the motor was just humming away and not let off until the reset button popped.

I just wanted to see if anyone else has experienced any of this before I jump in and buy 2 new motors.

Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance.
ShaveIce

Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:43 pm

Dluna, adjusting the break doesn't damage the motor but holding the handle down while shaving to produce extra pressure definitely will. Also, over use of the foot pedal can cause damages to the motor since you are switching the motor on and off non stop. This will not only damage the relay inside the motor but also over heat it. If the machine is shaving in reverse, the internals are damaged. Usually you would either have to take the motor to a shop to get fixed or you would have to buy a new one. Either option is quite expensive.
www.shaveiceshaveice.com
Forum for Hawaiian shave ice, shave ice supplies, shave ice flavors, and shave ice machines.
dluna11w

Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:02 pm

Thank you very much for the response.

My employees definitely are on and off the pedal like crazy. Does anyone have a secret for making a good shaved ice that doesn't fall over without shaping it by hand and taking it fairly slow?

I can go start to stop without stopping one time, but it involves spinning the cup non-stop with one hand and chatching and molding with my other. I also have large hands so it is pretty easy.

It sounds like I should go ahead and order 2 new motors. :|
ShaveIceSupply

Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:54 am

Try to have your employees use the blade adjustment knob for output rather than the foot pedal. The blade adjustment knob is like a throttle, where you can increase or decrease the out put of the ice. That is the most ideal way.
Providing quality shave ice products in Hawaii and all over the mainland for over 20 years. Visit http://www.shaveicesupplies.com.

For current deals and offerings, visit the promotions and prize giveaway forum at www.shaveiceshaveice.com!