Hawaiian Shave Ice Pointer #1

This section will tell you the basics on how to make a good Hawaiian shave ice! Please feel free to ask questions you may have regarding local shave ice and shave ice in general.
Snowie

Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:28 pm

Hey,

I wanted to put a voice in here for Snowie if that is ok.

I agree with some of the comments here, you will always get a better shave from a block that you will from a cube shaver. The very nature of the ice will determine that. With that said, Snowie now has a Block Ice Shaver that is an unreal machine, and produces unbelievable snow.

I do want to point out quickly that the blocks from some of the other machines mentioned will shave what we call a ribbon and there is no question that is wonderful snow. The Snowie Block will not produce a ribbon, it is shaving from close to 200 blades at once and it creates a snow that is more similar to the snow mother nature produces. The snow from both of these shavers is very similar once syrup is placed on them.

Now, to touch quickly on the cube shaver. If you are going to do shaved ice from a cube machine, you need to do a few things. You need to make the effort to get the best cubes you can get. By best I mean the biggest, roundests cubes you can find. This will make them shave more like a block. In fact, if you had perfectly round, solid cubes, it would shave just like a block.

The Temperature of your ice also matters. If you let your ice get wet or if you are shaving from squared cubes, you are going to get a less desirable snow. If you keep your ice cold and get those cubes round, your snow can be so close to block that people will not be able to tell the difference.

I have had people come to our shop all the time before we sold the block to try our shavers. They would say that they would never do anything but a block. They would then shave their own, obviously impressed by the speed, and then they would taste it. Their comments were often quite the same, "that is so close to my block and a thousand times more convenient." and they would leave with our Snowie 3000 Ice Shaver.

The Snowie 3000 is an unreal ice shaver. I have personally received snow from it that is out of this world. Some of you didn't like your experience with it, and I understand that. But I do truly believe that I could have remedied your disappointment. Hopefully we will have that chance again one day.

Please let me know if any of you have any other questions, I would love to answer them for you.

- Aaron
aaron@snowie.com
801-268-2225
www.snowie.com