Cones or Bowls

This section will tell you the basics on how to make a good Hawaiian shave ice! Please feel free to ask questions you may have regarding local shave ice and shave ice in general.
Mondo Ice Truck

Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:19 pm

Hello Shave Ice folks,
I'm getting into the ice game and I'm in the midst of outfitting my truck and ice operation. The few shave ice shops I've been to have used either styrofoam cups or flower cones. Through researching stuff online, I see that some shops use bowls. I've never had shave ice in a bowl but it seems like a pretty good idea... but maybe there is a reason that the cones are so popular; syrup gathering at the bottom etc.

What do you think? Cones or bowls or cups?

I thought this would be a good time to say hello to the Shave Ice People and throw this question out to the community. I've been flipping through this forum for months and you have all been very helpful, maybe you can help me with this decision too!

Thanks!
Loopdan

Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:17 pm

Unless there is a strong regional taboo about Styrofoam, I'd go that route. It's cheaper and insulates better than the flower cups. The advantage of a bowl is it allows for easier syrup coverage and you can serve faster. But many customers prefer cups because they can take them in the car with ease.
IceClouds

Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:07 am

Styrofoam squat cups all the way! We dabbled with the flower cups for a bit...but we just didn't like the expense they were and how they were not very car friendly.