Mentor? New biz in california

This section will tell you the basics on how to make a good Hawaiian shave ice! Please feel free to ask questions you may have regarding local shave ice and shave ice in general.
joe ollie

Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:41 pm

Hello all,

I'm very excited to begin a new Shave Ice business in southern California! As all of you have probably experienced there are many obstacles to overcome when starting out. I was wondering if there is anyone out there who wouldn't mind becoming a "mentor" of sorts and possibly sharing some experience and knowledge with me to help me in my journey. Maybe talk once a month on the phone, brainstorm, and just be available to answer email questions as they pop up!

I hope to hear from some of you soon!
ShaveIce

Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:54 am

There are actually quite shave ice vendors in So Cal, if you do a google search there are at least a dozen that I can think of. Hopefully they would be there to help you out, if not you can always ask us here on the forums or give us a call here in Hawaii. Our staff is always happy to help you, and hopefully you would purchase from us as well!
www.shaveiceshaveice.com
Forum for Hawaiian shave ice, shave ice supplies, shave ice flavors, and shave ice machines.
Brian

Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:36 pm

Yeah, that's the thing, a lot of vendors already in Socal, including our business. Competition is fierce, so mentorship is a double edged blade for a mentor. There's a lot to learn an the info is earned the hard way so you're going to find some reluctance to spill trade secrets.
joe ollie

Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:26 pm

There are quite a few businesses in L.A. but I haven't found many where I am. As far as making someone struggle to find out what works as opposed to helping someone is pretty sad but that's the world we live in I guess. I have reached out of state and there have been a handful of very friendly people that did offer tips and suggestions but as you know how strict California is with health codes and such that is where I am looking for advice too.
ShaveIce

Tue May 01, 2012 6:06 pm

Hello Joe, hope your questions are being answered. Although we are not store owners, we can offer you some good advice from what we learned from our customers over the years. Shoot us a email at info@shaveicesupplies.com.
www.shaveiceshaveice.com
Forum for Hawaiian shave ice, shave ice supplies, shave ice flavors, and shave ice machines.
sistasue

Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:08 pm

Hi Joe,
I feel you! I'm also in Southern California and have been researching and developing my business plan to open my own store as well. The permitting process is indeed a nightmare! I've learned a lot from doing it myself but I'm always happy to help someone else. There are millions of people in Southern California and we can't have enough shave ice stores! I'm not concerned with helping my competitor....there is enough business for all. For Gods sake look at Pinkberrys! The way I figure....more stores= more awareness=move love for shave ice! I'm currently applying for a space to lease. Wondering if you ever opened your store. If so, where? Would love to talk to someone who has been there, and collaborate on products etc. Hope you are enjoying success! :)
IceMan326

Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:15 pm

Hello! I agree with you on this. It's a very complicated process to deal with, especially location and leasing. I think it's good at least California is HUGE! You can find a place where there is not one single vendor for miles. Hawaii is just a dot on the map. Finding a location is the most difficult and stressful to do. Sometimes, we do bang heads with other vendors at the same spot where I park or they are just a block away. Where as, there just isn't much customers to go around. One wrong move, it could mean we are out of business.. :cry:
I love Shave Ice, period. :D
ichigosnow

Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:02 am

Google Southern California Shaved Ice Businesses. Look at their website and use that as inspiration for your own website. Your website is one key to success.You may also want to add a blog to your website and update it with rich content every week to increase traffic/sales/awareness. Make sure your branding is clear and precise. Good Luck!! :mrgreen:
#1 Bubble Milk Tea, Frozen Yogurt, and Snow Ice Supplier:
http://fanaledrinks.com/
snowlover

Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:52 am

I could really use some help with regulations for a food truck. I have 3 compartment sink. where can I get someone to draw a plan for health dept. I live near Crenshaw/10 freeway
ShaveIce

Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:36 am

Did you get your food truck running? I know some people are hesitant about sharing their secrets due to competition, but I am sure someone who doesn't operate in So Cal would be happier to assist. In Hawaii it is alot easier, we just need a health permit and the lunch wagon has to be attached to a DOH approved commercial kitchen.
www.shaveiceshaveice.com